1890-95 Birr Castle electric light bulb. An exceptionally large incandescent light bulb, in the manner of Edison and Swan, with 'hairpin' filament, typical of Edison bulbs, and two terminals. Designed to be hung in a large space, not tested, 10" (25.5cm) high.
Purcell Auctioneers Birr, 12th Oct 2014 where purchased by the current owner.
A hydroelectric turbine was installed in the grounds of Birr Castle in 1879 by Lawrence Parsons, 4th Earl of Rosse both to provide light and to facilitate his experiments in electroplating.